What is Mindfulness?
Mindfulness is simply the act of being present and aware of what’s right in front of you. For many of us, it’s about toning down the multi-tasking and doing just one thing at a time. Kind of hard to achieve all the time, but whenever you can it does help to achieve more calmness.
For example, put down the phone at the park and just be there with the kids, the blue sky, the sunshine, and listening to the sounds around you. Maybe you feel that’s hard to do for 45 minutes, but try it for 10 minutes and see what happens. You’ll likely feel less stressed out. You’ll also connect more with your children, with nature, and with yourself.
Here are additional ways to practice mindfulness:
- Put down the device — pay attention to what’s right in front of you. Keep phones away from the dinner table and the playground.
- Play with your kids — instead of sitting nearby with your phone, actually engage with play, with them.
- Go outdoors — get away from screens, leave your device behind. Look at the blue sky. Take a breath.
- Eat together — learn how to talk to each other and catch up on the day. Keep the conversation light and friendly.
- Take a 5-minute meditation — here’s one below (VIDEO). It’s about breathing and relaxing. It brings you back to the now.